It happens every year. Clarksville’s sticky summer heat turns to mild autumn days, and emergency AC Unit repairs are no longer keeping our technicians on their toes and putting in overtime. It’s the slow time, folks! It’s a short window with the heating season right around the corner, but it’s one that can save you a bundle on a new AC Unit if you’re in the market.
Technician down time is just one reason why fall is the best time to start hunting for a new air conditioner, but it is not the only reason. Consider that if your current system is hanging on by a thread and you’re pretty sure you’ll need a replacement soon, wouldn’t it be better to get it all done in a nice leisurely manner now, while it’s cooler outside? Otherwise, you may find yourself without air conditioning in the sweltering heat next summer and be forced to suffer thru the heat or move into a hotel while you scramble to find the best deal and then wait days for the new system to be installed.
Why Choose DOC Heating & Cooling?
Do You Really Need a New AC Unit?
Sometimes it can be difficult to know whether you really need a new air conditioner, or you simply need a few minor repairs or a comprehensive tune-up. While you may ultimately want to get a second opinion either way, there are a few ways to determine whether a new A/C is in your near future, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.
- The Unit is Over 10 Years Old: Age alone isn’t an indication that you need a new system, since many air conditioners last up to twenty years, especially if they’re well maintained. But if you feel you’re paying more for energy bills or your comfort level isn’t what it used to be, a new system at this point can save you a lot of money in the long run. Technology advances considerably in ten years, and a high efficiency system today may operate as much as 25 percent more efficiently than your existing decade-old system.
- Your Air Conditioner Needs Frequent Repairs: If you need more than two A/C repairs a year, you’ll probably be better off scrapping the old system and bringing in a new one. Once you start needing frequent repairs, there’s really no going back to the good old days of totally forgetting you even have an air conditioner. The repairs–and the repair bills–will start piling up more and more frequently, largely due to the fact that once something goes wrong with one part of the system, it tends to have a snowball effect, affecting the operation and efficiency of the other parts.
- Your System Isn’t Keeping You as Cool as it Should: An inefficient air conditioner will cost more to operate, and it won’t offer you the level of comfort it should. If your A/C cycles frequently but it’s not producing cool enough air or adequate air flow, you should have it inspected to ensure the problem isn’t a simple fix. But if your unit is getting up there in age and you’re suffering through the heat but still paying out the nose for cooling costs, this double whammy is more than enough reason to go ahead and replace the system.
- Your Home Humidity Level is Too High: An older air conditioner’s coils may be caked with gunk and dust, which will act as insulation and prevent adequate heat absorption as well as prevent your system from adequately removing humidity from your home. Additionally, if your existing air conditioner is over-sized, as many unfortunately tend to be due to contractors who use their eyes instead of Manual J to size a new system, you won’t get the humidity control you need, especially in our humid region. If your home is more humid that it should be, it’s probably time to replace.
- Your AC Unit is Noisy: If you’re jumping out of your skin every time your air conditioner kicks on due to its banging, clanking, screeching, or pounding, you probably need a new system. The problem could be a loose blower assembly housing, undersized duct system, or other problem, but chances are, you’re going to need a new system if you want to enjoy peace and quiet again.
DOC Heating & Cooling Can Help!
If you think you might need a new air conditioner give us a call for a free second opinion. We can help you decide whether you’ll be better off with a few minor repairs or whether you’ll ultimately end up spending more on repairs than you’d pay for a new unit. We follow industry-standard best practices when sizing your new air conditioner, and we have a number of tests that can help determine whether your existing ductwork can be used with a new system.
If it’s definitely time to replace, we’ll help you choose the best unit for your budget and explain new advances in technology that can save you even more money in the long run. If you’re interested in scrapping the whole A/C idea altogether and looking into a high efficiency heat pump instead, we can help you there, too.
Need Us Today? We’re on the Way! DOC Heating & Cooling offers our Clarksville Area customers residential and commercial heating & ac repair, maintenance and installation of new systems. The professionals at DOC Heating & Cooling are always ready to keep your family or customers and employees comfortable.
Schedule an Appointment Today!
Whether you live in Clarksville, TN or somewhere close by we are ready to help. Our highly trained technicians are available 24/7 to keep your heating & cooling system running smoothly.