Why Is Mold Dangerous?
You may have thought that your itchy eyes, coughing, or sneezing was just seasonal allergies or a slight cold, but what if the truth was that you could be reacting to the presence of mold in your home or air conditioner mold. Many people have concerns about finding mold or fungus in their home. It’s scary to think that there could be something living in your house and on your walls that might be affecting your health and probably damaging your home as well. Mold in your home can pose a number of serious health problems that you may not realize. Since mold can be found in virtually any environment, everyone is potentially at risk for toxic mold exposure, regardless of where you live.
The presence of mold is a serious concern; keep reading to find out why.
Indoor Mold Causes Illness and Health Problems
Indoor mold might be unsightly and smelly, but it will also affect the air quality in your home. Molds reproduce by forming tiny spores that are too small to see with the naked eye. Spores travel through the air and land on surfaces searching for water to grow. Mold spores can survive under most conditions; even conditions that mold wouldn’t survive in.
One toxic type that is generally referred to is black mold, which describes “Stachybotrys Chartarum”. There are many types of mold that appear to be black, though. It goes without saying that living with mold can be dangerous, and if you have reason to suspect that you need a mold removal specialist you definitely shouldn’t chance it. Large quantities of any mold are a major health concern, not to mention the damage it could do to organic building materials like wood throughout your house. If you still aren’t sold about how dangerous living with air conditioner mold could be for you and your family, check out these 50 more reasons why living with mold should alarm you.
Why Choose Darrow Heating & Cooling?
Mold is sneaky. It can appear behind the drywall after a flood or in a damp basement. Besides, it can hide in places which you wouldn’t expect, making it hard to wipe off. To detect it, think like a fungus and check these uncommon places providing the mold with the necessary quantity water and food it needs to grow.
Maybe you’re surprised and asking yourself how mold can grow up here. As a matter of fact, brick crevices collect water, debris, and other dirt. Except that, rusted chimney caps let the rain enter and encourage the mold to grow. To get rid of it, first eliminate the prerequisite of its appearance. So if the gap is rusted replace it with а new one. Call a chimney sweep to give your chimney a good cleansing. That way, you’ll not only get rid of mold, but your chimney will be free of creosote.
2. Refrigerator Drip Pans
Yes, it’s a very unusual place. Actually, it’s ideal for mold growing up, because drip pans collect a lot of moisture and food spills. Cleaning them should be inevitable part of your annual deep house cleaning plan. Make a hydrogen peroxide solution by mixing 1 teaspoon hydrogen peroxide in 1 cup water. Spray the pan, wait a few minutes, then wipe it with a rag soaked in white vinegar. Don’t forget to clean the floor beneath the pan.
3. Front-Loading Washing Machines
Mold can appear on the gasket around the door of a front loaded washing machine. The reason for that is closing the door right after using the machine while it’s still wet. To remove it, try to wipe the gasket and glass dry before closing the door. In case the door is moldy, run a hot water wash with some chlorine bleach to kill the fungi.
4. Window Sashes and Seals
What does mold love most? Of course, humid places. Condensation that appears on the windows is the perfect place for mold to grow. Therefore, after heavy rains, open the windows and wipe clean the moisture from the bottom of the window sashes and sills. In case, the seals between the panes are failing, repair them as soon as possible. Mold specialists recommend to regularly wipe windows clean to deprive mold of food.
Stacking a few wet dishes leads to mold development, especially if those dishes are not used everyday. In these cases, run the moldy dishes through the dishwasher. Make sure they are completely dry when you store them. And lastly, wipe the cabinets with a vinegar-soaked rag.
6. Air Conditioners
Mold grows there, because air conditioning units trap dust and pollen, as well as grab moisture from the air. And if the AC is not run at least every 24 hours in warm weather, the humidity level increases and mold grows faster. If the mildew is placed in your central air conditioning unit, you’ll have to hire a mold remediation pro to clean out the system. However, if the infected area is in your AC unit, remove the front plate and clean the blower. Clean the drain with a solution of bleach and water in proportion 1:1.
Prevention is the best way to keep your AC mold free. Run it for about 10 minutes every day to keep the air circulating when it’s hot and humid outside. Regularly check the humidity level in your home. It should be above 55%.
In conclusion, mold appearance is a thread that shouldn’t be ignored. Therefore, if you take the necessary steps on time, you will win the fight against mold from its the beginning.
Schedule an Appointment Today!
Whether you live in Clarksville, TN or somewhere close by we are ready to help. Our highly trained technicians are available 24/7 to keep your heating & cooling system running smoothly.